Editor’s Note: The folks at Madness To Creation are mourning the loss of the “Queen of Soul” Aretha Franklin. Her music brought Motown, R & B, and Gospel to the mainstream with her one of a kind voice that caused the heavens above to take notice. She was 76 years old. We wanted to do a small part and pay tribute to her by sharing our top five favorite Aretha Franklin jams.
- “A Change Is Gonna Come”. Written by Sam Cooke in 1967, this song showcased her blues and it showcased how she was able to evoke heartache in this gutwrenching song.
2. “Chain of Fools” – The harmony, the soul, and the rhythm in this song was truly groundbreaking in Motown.
3. “Respect”- Yes, this is her most famous song. It would be foolish not to include this song. This song exemplified what it meant to be a powerful woman. This song was groundbreaking for the women’s liberation movement and the struggles for women’s equality.
4. “I Say A Little Prayer”- The harmony in this song and the chorus certainly showcases how strong a romantic song can be.
5. “Freeway of Love” – This song showcased Aretha’s great comeback in the 1980s and it showcased that not only she still had it, but she was still a cut above the rest.