On this day 14 years ago, esteemed guitarist Dimebag Darrell was murdered by an obsessed fan while performing with Damageplan at a club in Columbus, Ohio. He is known for his shredding and insane riffs while playing the axe for southern metal band Pantera, and after hearing stories about him, he was one of the true nice guys in the world of metal. As a tribute to Dimebag Darrell, we have a top five list of favorite Pantera songs.
5. Goddamn Electric- This was off of the “Reinventing The Steel” album. This showed the world that Pantera was here to stay, and who can forget this song that was about throwing those horns up for the world of metal and paying homage to the likes of Black Sabbath and Slayer, while they paid homage to drinking whiskey and smoking weed.
4. A New Level- This song was perfectly symbolic of Pantera’s ascent to the metal world. This song really showcased Dimebag Darrell’s prowess on the guitar, whether its the riffs that just pounded into the listener’s skull or the insane solos that he would come up with. Rex Brown definitely holds his own on the bass during the guitar solo as well.
3. This Love- This song just hits so hard at the chorus and it showcases Phil Anselmo’s melodic and a bit more sensitive side. I use the word “sensitive” loosely in this one.
2. Cemetery Gates- Dimebag absolutely owns on the guitar in this song. This song of heartache, loss and that feeling of uncertainty after death makes “Cemetery Gates” by Pantera absolutely larger than life.
1. Cowboys From Hell- This song is one of my anthems when I’m ready to go to a concert. It just annihilates, it is one of the true great metal songs. It’s one of those songs that I would introduce to someone that was wanting to get into heavy music. Plus, you can’t help but headbang and mosh to this song.
In short, we have our collective black tooth grins and we just raise our glass and yell “Getcha Pull” in honor of Dimebag Darrell! Your music impacted all of us in the metal world! Thanks Dimebag!